As the government looks for ways to ease the effects of the surge in oil prices.
On Tuesday (March 31), President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. confirmed that he will be issuing an executive order to impose a PHP50 per kilogram price cap on imported well-milled rice.
“Ilalabas natin ang Executive Order para maipatupad na ito sa lalong madaling panahon,” President Marcos said in a presidential address, which came following the meeting of the Unified Package for Livelihoods, Industry, Food, and Transport (UPLIFT) Committee meeting on Monday.
The committee was created through Executive Order No. 110, which placed the country under the state of national energy emergency in light of the ongoing conflict in the Middle East.
“Pinalalawak din ang P20 rice program,” he declared. “May 627 na center sa buong bansa. Ito’y naging mas malawak dahil dati ang aming pino-provide sa PhP20 rice ay 600 tons, at ngayon umakyat na sa 2,000 tons dahil tumaas ang demand.”
The move to place the price ceiling was from the suggestion of the Department of Agriculture, which was recommended by the National Price Coordinating Council.
According to Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr., the measure will cover the imported rice that arrived in country prior to the start of the conflict on February 28 were bought at lower landed cost.
He also flagged previously imported rice prices beyond PHP50 a kilo—which is a price he considers fair given costs—are bordering on profiteering.
Tiu Laurel underscored the broader context of the move. “With global oil shocks feeding into higher food prices, this measure delivers immediate relief to consumers while reinforcing the government’s commitment to keep rice accessible, affordable, and fairly priced,” he said.
Meanwhile, Marcos said that currently, the price of basic necessities and prime commodities remains at the suggested retail price levels, including rice, with the government working to control the prices of 205 commodities in the midst of the current energy emergency.
“Patuloy tayong nakikipag-usap sa manufacturer at retailer na hindi sila magtaas muna ng presyo hanggang sa susunod na buwan,” he furthered.
