Categories
News Transportation Trendrod News Trendrod Select

MMDA: EDSA has exceeded its vehicular capacity amid holiday rush

The agency is now implementing adjustments to address the traffic problem amid the holiday rush.

The agency is now implementing adjustments to address the traffic problem amid the holiday rush.

During the Palace Press Briefing on Wednesday, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Don Artes said that the volume of vehicles using major thoroughfares in the region, particularly EDSA, has already exceeded its capacity.

He said, “Sobra po kasi ang volume ng sasakyan, we expect it dahil sa atin pong datos last year ng same week, first week and second week ng December, umaabot po talaga ng 450,000 ang vehicles sa EDSA alone – iyan po ay more than the 250,000 capacity.”

In line with this, the agency has implemented several measures to alleviate the expected traffic congestion across Metro Manila during the Christmas season.

The MMDA chief noted that they already have implemented adjustments, including intensified clearing operations of Mabuhay Lanes, which are designated alternate routes to help motorists avoid congested main roads and highways.

The official also urged the public to use the major public transportation systems, such as the EDSA Bus Carousel and the Metro Rail Transit (MRT) and Light Rail Transit (LRT), to help decongest roads.

He has since coordinated with the Department of Transportation (DOTr) to extend operating hours of the MRT and LRT and other public transport systems to encourage commuters not to use their private vehicles.

At present, both the LRT-2 is already operating beyond its usual hours until December 30, while MRT-3 continues to implement its extended weekday hours that took effect earlier this year.

ON THE MARCOS HIGHWAY GRIDLOCK

Meanwhile, concerning the hours-long traffic gridlock that happened along Marcos Highway over the weekend, Artes attributed the incident to the simultaneous mall sales in areas outside the MMDA’s jurisdiction.

Iyong sa nangyari naman po sa Marcos Highway, nagkasabay-sabay po iyong sale doon po sa mga malls na outside ng jurisdiction ng MMDA at kung inyo pong matatandaan, pinagbabawal po natin ang mall sale dito po sa Kamaynilaan… Dahil po dito sa may parteng Rizal may mga nag-mall sale, nagkasabay-sabay po iyong paglabas at nabulunan po,” he said.

To avoid a recurrence, Artes said the MMDA convened a meeting with the local governments of Marikina, Pasig, Quezon City, Cainta, and Antipolo to craft effective traffic mitigation measures.

He also said additional MMDA traffic enforcers will be deployed along Marcos Highway, with LGUs committing to provide support to ensure motorists comply with traffic rules.

In addition, Artes cited the need for harmonized truck ban policies among local government units (LGUs) to ease congestion along Marcos Highway.

Likewise, he also appealed to mall operators to refrain from holding mall-wide sale events during peak holiday weeks. “Kinausap din po natin iyong mga LGUs regarding mall-wide sale, dapat po siguro ipagbawal din muna po dahil nagkataon po, pagkasara po ng mall, sabay-sabay po naglabasan na talaga naman pong naging dahilan ng sobrang bigat ng daloy ng trapik,” he said.

Although, he clarified that the MMDA is not against individual store sales and told, “Hindi po namin ipinagbabawal or pinakikiusap na ipagbawal iyong sale. Ang sinasabi lang po namin, huwag sabay-sabay na buong mall ay sale. So, on a per store basis, puwede pa rin pong mag-sale.”

He added, “Dahil kapag sobra rin po ang trapik, nawawala po iyong foot traffic sa kanilang mga malls ay nadi-discourage din pong pumunta iyong mga mamimili at nakakabawas din po sa sales nila.”

Furthermore, the MMDA has also requested a temporary moratorium on Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) anti-overloading checkpoints that obstruct road flow.


Leave a Reply

Discover more from Trendrod

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading