Isang libo’t isang tuwa, buong barkada, sa ibang programa?
Last week, separate articles on PEP.ph and Bilyonaryo broke the news that longtime ‘Eat Bulaga’ producer and consultant Antonio P. Tuviera is being eased out from his position as TAPE, Inc. In his place, Romeo Jalosjos, Jr., the child of the company’s chairman Romeo Jalosjos, has been installed recently as TAPE’s President. He was also said to have made a courtesy call before chairman Felipe Gozon of GMA Network, the station where ‘Eat Bulaga’ has been airing for the past 28 years.
This changing of guards in TAPE’s management have triggered the speculation that the longtime hosts of ‘Eat Bulaga’ will also make their way out of the program to follow Tuviera. These shows are none other than Tito Sotto, Vic Sotto, and Joey de Leon — TVJ. Apart from them, there are also rumors that several hosts of the program will leave EB and join TVJ and Tuviera to form a new variety show that will be named ‘Dabarkads‘, based on EB’s current tag to its cast and viewers.
Furthermore, this program is said to be shipped to air on either ALLTV or NET25. However, up to this day, these speculations remain as such, as neither TAPE, Tuviera himself, or GMA, have made concrete comments particular to the issue.
The nearest responses are one, Tito Sotto’s cryptic Instagram post recently, where he proclaimed that he will not separate from Tony Tuviera. And two, through an interview with PEP on March 9, another son of Romeo Jalosjos and Dapitan City, Zamboanga Mayor Bullet Jalosjos announced that a reformat for ‘Eat Bulaga’ is indeed in the offing and that TAPE will announce the changes in due course. Still, as of now, it is also unclear how the overhaul will pan out and who will be retained from the current cast members of EB.
In this edition of ‘Futurecast’, let’s dwell on the floated idea of a separate ‘Dabarkads’ show and check out all the venues where a program like that could air, should the program come into fruition as a result of the impending reformat of ‘Eat Bulaga’.
Possible format
Should the rumors be found true, it is highly likely that ‘Dabarkads’ will take the elements that make up Eat Bulaga of today. Since according to reports in circulation, the new leadership at TAPE are looking to reformat the 43-year-old show by hiring much younger hosts, and perhaps, inevitably lead to changes in the content itself. Hence, if ‘Dabarkads’ does get the greenlight, it is assumed that it will just sort of become a retitled EB.
However, since ‘Dabarkads’ is a different show from ‘EB’, slight tweaks on the current ‘Eat Bulaga’ segments’ title and format can happen. But, if they decide to start from scratch, then new segments and concepts can also pop-up from that ‘breakaway’ show.
Host network?
Perhaps, the most interesting part of the topic is finding the answer to the question “where will this variety show be aired, should it become a reality?”
As we discuss the possible coverors, we’ll check out the pros and cons each of the networks have. At the end of this, we’ll make a guess on which is likely to win, if they all indeed launch a fight to take in the ‘Dabarkads’.
Let’s begin with the networks mentioned in previous articles: ALLTV and NET25.
ALLTV
The start-up TV channel of the Villar clan began operations last September and has yet to gain footing across all its time slots. Last month, it temporarily suspended the taping for several of its programs, as they focus on “improving their signal and reach,” according to its management.
Should ‘Dabarkads’ move to this channel, they can take the noontime slot, as the network’s talk show M.O.M.S. Mhies On A Mission, which currently airs on the slot, can easily slide back to its original morning schedule. Apart from that, ALLTV will also benefit as they would have an anchor program on a lucrative block like noontime and finally, could have a program that will register decent viewership figures that could spillover to its other programming. Which, will later on lead to attracting actual advertisements on the channel.
But, as mentioned above, the show will have to contend with the limited reach of the station, at least in the forseeable future, as ALLTV is yet to complete its signal improvement activities.
In terms of familial ties, Ciara Sotto, a current talent of ALLTV for M.O.M.S., will be reunited under one roof with her father Tito and uncle Vic.
NET25
The network from Central Avenue is also being touted as one of the possible carriers of such a possible ‘breakaway’ noontime show. This could be due to channel 25’s current relationship with the main hosts of ‘Eat Bulaga’, Tito, Vic, and Joey.
As of the March 2023, each of the TVJ trio has their respective programs on NET25’s weekend primetime block. On Saturday nights, Joey has a prank comedy show ‘Oh No, It’s B.O. (Biro Only)’, followed by Tito’s current affairs show’Reality Check’. Meanwhile, Vic is joined by wife Pauleen and daughter Talitha for their anthology program ‘Love, Bosleng and Tali’ every Sunday.
Unlike ALLTV, in NET25’s current noontime block, the ‘Dabarkads’ will have to bump off ‘Shopping All The Way with Jojo A.’ from the schedule. But in a similar fashion, 25’s reach is also currently limited with two UHF stations, one in Manila and another in Baguio. Apart from that, its shows are only accessible via pay TV and the internet.
Government TV channels
Well, PTV and IBC are some of the remaining free TV channels that currently have no entertainment, much more a variety show, on noontime. Of the two, PTV produces a noontime newscast via ‘Sentro Balita’, and on other days, also broadcasts Presidential Press Briefings. Meanwhile, the other has been overreliant for so long on various government-produced materials and with the absence of DepEd TV, has no absolute anchor program in the entirety of its schedule.
But there is problem particular to PTV. The station regularly interrupts its normal programming to cover the President’s official appointments. Thus, it might not be a suitable place for an entertainment show at noontime or at any given slot, as it should always be on standby mode.
That leaves them with IBC. While it is slightly more accessible than other stations above, it is still considered to have lower reach by today’s TV standards. Bad news for ‘Dabarkads’, but perhaps, a would-be good news for IBC, as they can capture a better viewership figure than what they currently have.
Nostalgia can also be a factor should IBC position themselves as an additional option. This, as TVJ also had ties with channel 13 decades ago, when some of their programs were aired over there. Most notably ‘Student Canteen’ (which the trio was part of prior to hosting EB) and ‘Iskul Bukol’.
TV5
TV5 should also be poised to become a candidate, thanks to its ties with APT Entertainment, Antonio Tuviera’s own production house, which forged a tie-up with TV5 affiliate Cignal TV to form the BuKo channel. Also, Maine Mendoza’s ‘Maine Goals’ is also currently being aired on the network’s morning block, while Jose and Wally’s revival of ‘Wow Mali!’ has been greenlighted for this year.
But the problem is, the Kapatid network’s noontime block is not just occupied, but jam-packed, given that both ‘Tropang LOL’ of Brightlight Productions and ABS-CBN Entertainment’s ‘Its Showtime’ share the four-hour block from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm under the Lunchtime Saya banner.
Thus, if they land on TV5, a show or two will have to be bumped off from their current time. For example, Tropang LOL may have to be moved to an earlier slot, making it more of a morning show, or the onus can fall on Showtime, with it having to air much later.
But if ‘Dabarkads’ decides not to mess with the programs on that block, they will have to be placed on either afternoon or the prime gateway slots. And as a result, have to give way every Wednesday and Friday for the live broadcast of PBA games.
Kapamilya Channel + A2Z
An unorthodox option would be the combination of ABS-CBN’s Kapamilya Channel and Zoe TV’s A2Z.
Back in the late ’80s, ‘Eat Bulaga’ transferred to then ABS-CBN channel 2 from RPN-9. But as their contract with the network neared its end in 1995, ABS-CBN offered to buy the program from TAPE, which led to renewal talks breaking down and later, the transfer of ‘Eat Bulaga’ to GMA. If ‘Dabarkads’ does materialize, it will be a comeback of sorts for the team.
But, of course, there is a major roadblock for them. Like on TV5, Kapamilya Channel and A2Z also simulcast ‘Tropang LOL’ and ‘It’s Showtime’. Thus, if they pursue going to Mother Ignacia, they will have to make either of the two shows move.
But in contrast to TV5, should they morph the concept into a pre-primetime show, they can be accommodated by Kapamilya Channel and A2Z and air from Monday to Saturday, as usual. Currently, both channels only air movies between 4:30 to 6:30 pm. And on Saturdays, there is a lull right between ‘It’s Showtime’ and ‘Rated Korina’.
Like the other channels previously stated, reach can also be an issue, as ABS-CBN themselves have to also simulcast shows on TV5 just to increase their viewership as Kapamilya Channel is limited to pay TV, while A2Z is only available for analog TV in Mega Manila and exclusively on digital TV in select regions.
PIE
PIE, a collaboration TV channel between BEAM and ABS-CBN, can also be a candidate. With several of its live programming already axed as of January 2023, ‘Dabarkads’ can be a welcome addition to its roster of shows.
Apart from that, while severely lesser than GMA’s, BEAM has stations across key cities in the country, which could also help the program remain accessible in these areas.
But there is hidden alas that could be unleashed. Should they entertain the pre-primetime ‘Dabarkads’ concept to air on KapCha and A2Z, PIE could also be used as another platform to increase the show’s coverage across the archipelago.
GTV
Last, but not the least, is within the premises of Eat Bulaga’s current home network, GMA, with their secondary TV channel: GTV.
While the availability of its noontime slot varies, thanks to the channel’s commitment with the NCAA, on regular days (most likely when the NCAA is off-season), it is just filled with movie blocks.
But if this possible noontime show comes to life, the NCAA may have to be moved to start at a later time, maybe around 2:00 pm or 2:30 pm, similar to how it was during its S+A days. Once that happens, change is also inevitable for the rest of the schedule. For example, ‘Dapat Alam Mo!’ can be transferred to 8:00 pm or the post-24 Oras slot. Speaking of which, the 24 Oras simulcast will also have to be sacrificed on NCAA days to let it air uninterrupted from 2:30 to 8:00 pm.
Apart from that, by being on GTV, they can still have a far better reach than any other channel on this list, as the channel is currently available in about 27 free-to- air stations across the country. Not only that, the show will also benefit as they can build upon the decades-long relationship that they already have with GTV’s parent firm.
But for GMA’s part, their issue would center around the idea that they will have to juggle between two competing noontime shows. Here, the problem of ‘cannibalizing’ one another could arise. But for GTV, having ‘Dabarkads’ could strengthen its programming as they could bag another anchor program that would beef up their line-up and lessen their dependence on movie blocks and simulcasts of programs from channel 7.
Now, let’s try to weigh in on the pros and cons of each network. With ALLTV, IBC, and PIE, the show will enjoy the ease of putting ‘Dabarkads’ on the perennial time slot of 12:00 nn. But the major drawback on being in either of these channels is that they are going to reach and engage a limited audience.
Meanwhile, on NET25, TV5, Kapamilya Channel, and A2Z, they will have to bump off certain programs to get their desired slot, but still contend with smaller vieweership, if they only decide to stay on one channel.
As for GTV, it may have the superior reach among all of the channels and platforms presented, the commitment of this channel to airing live sports can be a factor for the station to back off. Apart from that, while there are a lot of undeniable pros by sticking with GMA, it remains to be seen whether the network will let two different shows of the same breed to air on both its channels and risk cannibalizing the mother network. After all, the network would love to simulcast more than airing an actual alternative. Still, GTV can’t be easily written off despite these factors.
With that, here’s a ranking on which network could possibly bag ‘Dabarkads’, should it come into reality. Number 7 means its less likely and #1 means highly likely.
- GTV (thanks to Eat Bulaga’s existing ties with GMA)
- NET25 (thanks to TVJ’s current shows)
- Kapamilya Channel + A2Z (+ TV5 if noontime or PIE if pre-primetime)
- PIE (to simulcast on Kapamilya Channel + A2Z, if it airs in the pre-primetime slot)
- IBC
- TV5 (if it airs there exclusively and as an afternoon or primetime show)
- ALLTV (can be #2 or #3 on this list once it completes its signal reach expansion)
The internal scuffle and management changes at TAPE is a seismic force that threatens to rock the institution that is the country’s longest-running noontime show, ‘Eat Bulaga’ and to a degree, has sent shockwaves across the TV landscape and the local showbiz scene, in general.
With the reformat plans for the show still kept under wraps, loyal viewers of ‘Eat Bulaga’ can only hope that it will still retain the personalities that many of them have grew up watching. But if the unthinkable happens, that same base can only wish that they will see these people regroup and form another possible force to be reckoned with in the noontime arena and in the local TV space, too.
DISCLAIMER: The piece above is an insight on the possibility of a ‘Dabarkads’ TV show, based on previous articles published by other media firms. To this day, no parties or personalities have made direct and concrete comments on the future of ‘Eat Bulaga’, apart from a reformat, and whether such a TV program (‘Dabarkads’) will indeed form as a result of the forthcoming changes on EB.
‘Where will ‘Dabarkads’ go?’: Where can we (possibly) find their new home?
FOR THE SECOND PART OF THIS ARTICLE

2 replies on “‘Isang libo’t isang tuwa sa ibang programa?’: Could a new ‘Dabarkads’ show be formed elsewhere?”
[…] ‘Isang libo’t isang tuwa sa ibang programa?’: Could a new ‘Dabarkads’ show be formed elsew… […]
[…] • ‘Isang libo’t isang tuwa sa ibang programa?’: Could a new ‘Dabarkads’ show be formed elsew… […]