Categories
Showbusiness Trendrod Box Trendrod Select

ABS-CBN raises P6.6-B following investments from Lopez family, private firm

As the media giant looks to continue transforming its business following the loss of its broadcast franchise more than six years ago.

As the media giant looks to continue transforming its business following the loss of its broadcast franchise more than six years ago.

In a statement made by ABS-CBN on Wednesday, August 12, the company announced that it has successfully raised fresh capital amounting to PHP6.6 billion after securing investments from different parties.

Foremost, three branches of the Lopez family, through their respective holding companies Crème Investment Corporation, Mantes Corporation, and Presta Holdings Company Inc., have committed to subscribe to an aggregate of PHP2.2 billion in ABS-CBN shares using personal resources.

This news comes days after Crème, which is owned by former ABS-CBN chairman Eugenio “Gabby” Lopez III, sold its 25.68% stake in the family-run business, Lopez, Inc., to San Miguel chairman Ramon Ang.

Speaking of Lopez Inc., it, too, will subscribe to an additional PHP300 million worth of ABS-CBN shares according to the company.

Mark Lopez, chairman of ABS-CBN Corporation, said in a statement: “This substantial investment is a vote of confidence in ABS-CBN. It tells us there are people who continue to believe in the company and in our mission of being In the Service of the Filipino.”

Meanwhile, I&C Holdings Corp., a 100% Philippine-owned private investment firm that invests in long-term company turn-around, will subscribe to PHP3.5 billion worth of ABS-CBN shares.

ABS-CBN has built valuable brands, intellectual property, content and deep relationships with Filipino audiences in the Philippines and overseas. As the media industry continues to evolve, we believe these assets provide a strong foundation for the company to adapt, build a sustainable content-led business, and create long-term value,” I&C Holdings Corporation said for its part.

The media company noted that the capital that it raised aims to “strengthen ABS-CBN’s balance sheet while giving the company additional resources to execute its transformation into a more sustainable, content-led media and entertainment business.”

It also noted that the investments are still subject to the execution of separate definitive agreements and applicable corporate and regulatory requirements.

The fresh investments come as the company continues navigating its pivot to being a “storytelling company” focused on content production and distribution, six years after its terrestrial broadcast franchise was not renewed by Congress.

RECENT FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE

Meanwhile, between the months of January to March, the network noted in a prior disclosure that its core Content Production and Distribution business generated PHP2.76 billion in revenue, which is 13% lower than the same period last year.

The company told that this was driven mainly by a lower advertising revenue during this period, compared to January to March 2025 when the election-related advertising were present.

Additionally, it is also “in line with the overall decline in the industry’s advertising expenditure versus the same period last year.”

The global developments, which included the volatile situation in the Middle East, this year have also had a negative impact on consumer sentiment and the domestic economy, they stressed.

Moreover, “The absence of movies and major events during the 1st quarter of 2026 also resulted in weaker overall revenue performance versus last year.”

At the group level, including its Cable TV and Broadband segment, the consolidated revenue totaled PHP3.33 billion—21% below same period last year, with that segment accounting for most of the drop.

ABS-CBN expects its revenues in the remaining months of the year to improve significantly, banking on the performance of the primetime comeback of Coco Martin with Julia Montes in Sigabo on free and cable TV.

In theaters and live experiences, the company also released Star Cinema’s first movie of 2026, Tayo Sa Wakas with Donny Pangilinan and Belle Mariano last May, and is already mounting the overseas stopsn Signals World Tour of the Nation’s Girl Group, BINI.


Trendrod Desk's avatar

By Trendrod Desk

The Trendrod Desk is the main editorial account of Trendrod, publishing the stories you like to follow across entertainment, lifestyle, news, business, technology, and sports. For news tips and other concerns, please reach out to us via desk@trendrod.com

Leave a Reply

Discover more from Trendrod

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading