The controversial contractor is now under the custody of authorities.
In a statement on Thursday, December 11, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jonvic Remulla assured that billionaire contractor Sarah Discaya faces “no risk” following her voluntary surrender to tje National Bureau of Investigation last Tuesday, December 9.
Remulla stressed that the government remains focused on public safety and the proper handling of all legal processes.
He added that the DILG, NBI, and the PNP (Philippine National Police) are fully coordinated and that authorities have never viewed Discaya as armed or dangerous.
The Interior Secretary also noted that if Discaya had been formally listed as a wanted individual, her arrest would have been carried out through normal legal procedures.
“We are working very closely, in fact, 10 minutes ago nag-usap lang kami ni Secretary of Justice Vida. Coordinated naman ang NBI at PNP sa ginagawa namin,” said Remulla. “We don’t believe there is a risk, mabuti nga na nag-surrender na lang siya kaysa hinanap pa.”
In addition, the Secretary said that Discaya’s decision to hand herself over to authorities reflects accountability and helps ensure a smoother legal process, and called it an “act of good faith.”
“Oo napakalaking bagay niyan. And it showed good faith in her part, I’m sure the court will consider. Pero syempre ang batas ang masusunod dito.”
Meanwhile, he also addressed claims that Discaya’s surrender is part of a legal strategy, Remulla made clear that the case will be decided in the courts.
“Sa mata ng publiko, tapos na ‘to. Pero pagalingan na lang ng abogado ‘to eh. The Ombudsman is confident, the DOJ is very confident. Sila, may pera sila pambayad ng abugado. So titignan natin ang paligsahan dito sa korte.”
Meanwhile, Sec. Remulla also urged others with pending cases to cooperate with authorities, saying that surrender is always better than evasion and reflects respect for the law.
At present, Discaya remains in the NBI’s custody, while her husband, Curlee Discaya is said to be celebrating Christmas in the Senate’s custody.
In an earlier statement, President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. said that arrest warrant for Mrs. Discaya and other officials involved in the “ghost” or unbuilt Davao Occidental flood control project will be out by this week.
