With the department looking into the possibility of granular or school-based orders instead of the current all-encompassing directives.
During the Palace press briefing on Wednesday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro noted that the Malacañan Palace is awaiting the Department of Education’s (DepEd) proposal.
The said proposal aims to update Executive Order No. 66, s. 2012 which focuses on the automatic and local suspension of classes and work in government offices during disasters and inclement weather.
Specifically, the agency led by Secretary Sonny Angara is mulling a school-based approach to suspension in times of adverse weather conditions and a more flexible approach to class resumption that will be based on the actual conditions of each school and community.
Castro said DepEd prefers decisions on class suspension and resumption to be based on local conditions rather than automatically imposing blanket announcements across an entire province, city, or municipality.
“Ayon sa DepEd, mas gusto nilang magkaroon ng flexible at nakabase sa actual situation ng bawat school at community, hindi iyong automatic na pare-pareho ang suspension sa buong province, city o municipality,” she said.
DepEd earlier said it is considering school-level class resumption to prevent learning loss, allowing schools that are safe and unaffected by severe weather to resume in-person classes despite broader local suspensions.
The draft will also have criteria for suspension and resumption of classes for various types of disasters such as extreme heat, earthquakes, power outages, and poor air quality.
“Kung safe, puwedeng mag-resume; kung hindi safe, suspended,” Castro said.
In addition, school heads are also empowered under DepEd Order No. 22, s. 2024 to suspend classes in the event of localized hazards such as flooding around the campus or power outages, with the approval of their Schools Division Superintendent (SDS).
However, she clarified that a school-based approach does not mean schools will decide independently, citing the need for coordination and shared responsibility with local government units, as well as “clear safety assessments, timely communication and accountability.”
It was also stated in the proposal that to ensure prompt and fact-based decisions, LGUs and Schools Division Offices will have a one-hour window to act on the submitted school safety assessment.
“[W]e need a policy that reflects ground realities,” Angara said in a previous statement. “While safety will always remain our non-negotiable priority, we can no longer rely on broad, blanket suspensions where an entire city shuts down even when individual campuses are dry, safe, and ready to teach.”
The Education chief also noted that in School Year 2023–2024, up to 53 days of instruction were lost in public schools due to weather disruptions and other disruptions.
Castro also said that Angara will further discuss the proposal with schools.
The proposal comes amid heavy rains brought by the Southwest Monsoon (Habagat), which have forced at least 600 schools nationwide to suspend face-to-face classes. DepEd is also seeking to update Executive Order No. 66, series of 2012, which sets guidelines on class and government work suspensions during weather disturbances and calamities.
The DepEd also expressed its hopes that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. will approve the proposed EO before the end of the year to ensure the continuity of basic education.
Meanwhile, regarding possible changes to the school calendar, Castro said no proposal has been brought up to the Palace so far, while announcements on possible make-up classes will also be deferred to DepEd.
Although, the DepEd continues to encourage alternative learning arrangements, including online classes, to minimize learning disruptions during class suspensions.
